Randall from 50,000 Feet
- Schools: 4 elementary, 3 middle/junior highs, 3 high schools, and 2 colleges - a side effect of being an Army Brat.
- Work: Web Developer. I work with databases, web sites, encryption, privacy, security, and data warehouses.
- Relationship Status: Dating an awesome biochemist.
- Personality: EITP or INTJ depending on the test.
- I'm 6 feet 0 inches tall, blond hair (with a mind of its own), blue eyes
- I'm left handed, but write and mouse with my right hand (evil teachers and mouse makers).
- Mostly vegetarian
- Multi-gallon blood donor (O+ CMV-). I've also donated bone marrow.
- Eagle Scout
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Private Pilot, Airplanes, Single Engine, Land
- I've been to Burning Man 4 times
- Roller Blading
- Anything Internet/web related
- Liquid Nitrogen
- Making things
- Anything that flies: kites, airplanes, rockets, toasters, pigs, and pumpkins.
- Tour de France
- Pumpkin Chunkin'
- Sometimes combat robotics
- Sometimes I play a little bocce.
- My golf handicap is the windmill.
Tribal and industrial techno mixed with symphonic metal. I also have a penchant for high-energy female vocalists. Favorite instruments are MIDI sequencer, followed by the cello.Books I recommend:
- The Birthday Massacre
- OK Go
- Blue Man Group
- Fatboy Slim
- Chemical Bros.
- Nine Inch Nails
- Paul Oakenfold
- Crystal Method
- Daft Punk
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Jean Michael Jarre
- Opulent Temple
- Jackalope of Orbis
- Abney Park
- Leo Moracchiloli
- Melody Sheep and Symphony of Science
In an odd quirk of fate, I usually cannot understand lyrics so my musical tastes can be rather international - Japanese or German... it all sounds the same when you sing.
- Manna, by Marshall Brain
- Checklist Manifesto
- Catch Me If You Can
- Business Plans for Dummies
- Manga Guide to Statistics
- Applied Cryptography
- Chris in the Morning
- Everything You Know is Wrong
- The Goal
- Truth Machine
Videos I recommend:
- Melanie Rudd: How Awe Expands Our Perception of Time
- I love helmets (Notice how his sunglasses shatter)
- I, Phone, by CGP Grey
- Should All Locks Have Keys?, by CGP Grey
- I'll Let Myself In: Tactics of Physical Pen Testers
- Humans Need Not Apply, by CGP Grey
Podcasts I recommend:
- This American Life
- 99% Invisible
- Planet Money
- Anthropocene Reviewed
- The Empty Bowl
- Welcome to Night Vale
- Dr. Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)
- Lost in Translation
- War Games
- Pulp Fiction
- Pay it Forward (now a part of my vocabulary)
- The Game
- Truman Show
- Good Eats
- King Corn
- Shaun of the Dead
- Point of No Return
- This Film is Not Yet Rated
- The Fifth Element
- Office Space
- The Bourne Identity
Favorite Quotes"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don't have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."
"Today's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why"
-Hunter S. Thompson
"So cool it's cryo."
"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature."
"She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can sink. And she *will*. It is a mathematical certainty."
-Thomas Andrews (Architect of the RMS Titanic)
"Government big enough to supply everything you need
is big enough to take everything you have."
"If you need a machine and don't buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it, but don't have it."
"Many people feel that mass acceptance and smooth socialization are desirable life paths for a young adult... Many people are often wrong... Don't bother being nice. Being popular and well liked is not in your best interest. Let me be more clear; if you behave in a manner pleasing to most, then you are probably doing something wrong. The masses have never been arbiters of the sublime, and they often fail to recognize the truly great individual. Taking into account the public's regrettable lack of taste, it is incumbent upon you not to fit in."
-Janeane Garofalo From her book "Feel This Book," co-written with Ben Stiller
"It amazes me every day when I get into work and find it's working."
-Earl Zmijewski (referring to routers and the Internet.)
"I don't know if you have ever tried to think of band names, but usually you think you have a great one and you look at it the next day and it's stupid. I had about two hundred of those. Nine Inch Nails stood the two week test, looked great in print and could be abbreviated easily. It really does not have a literal meaning. It seemed kinda frightening. It's a curse trying to come up with band names."
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
"#java is the ice cream truck of programming languages: it'll get you from point A to point B but it will be creepy and weird the whole way."
"Without backups, you don't own your data... you lease it from fate."
"Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three)."
-Internet Engineering Task Force RFC 1945 § 2 (7a).
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all."
-God? (From Futurama)
"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."
"You will always struggle with not feeling productive until you accept that your own joy can be something you produce. It is not the only thing you make, nor should it be, but it is something valuable and beautiful."
"The trouble is, you think you have time"
"Today is an excellent day for putting Slinky on an escalator"